Society and Stereotypes


Okay, so you know what I don't get? Society. We all have such high regards and opinions of it, want to be socially accepted and have high ranking in it, and what does it do for us? Absolutely nothing. Actually, it kinda works more for bad than good. 

For one thing(and here comes the part where I rant about my own interests), if society proclaims something as stupid or little kid-ish or there's just a lot of hype about it, it's automatically "bad". Seriously, people avoid that thing like the plague and bash it and sometimes, that's entirely undeserved. Of course, there are also times when it is deserved, but I'm not talking about that at the moment.

Take for example High School Musical(Now I'm really in for the mocking). I actually like that movie. I mean, I really love it. It was great, had cool songs and just a fun movie, but if you actually say that in front of any given teenager, probability favors them thumbing it down. Even people who haven't watched the movie like someone I know avoid it because of the stereotyping. It's so ridiculous. I get it, the second movie was horrible, but the third was okay. I don't care if you think it's stupid. I don't care if you think it's beneath you. It was a good movie and at least two people who "don't like it" LAUGHED when I quoted it. 'Course, they didn't know it was HSM which PROVES that it isn't to do with the movie. It's stereotyping. And society. And stupid.

Now, if you've watched it and genuinely don't like it, then fine, that's your opinion. It's just when you start bashing it so much that it becomes a problem. It's like Twilight. Okay, I don't like the books. First time I read them, I thought they were okay. Second time around, I found a lot of stuff in them I didn't see before and just set them aside. I just don't like the series. I don't obsess about ranting over it because then you're just as bad as the hardcore fans that everyone gets ticked with. Honestly, I don't mind if you like the series. Just don't...talk about it every other word. (Oh wow, that sounds incredibly hypocritical coming from the resident Ramsey fan >> ) 

Anyways. Point is, don't knock something until you try it or become consumed with liking/disliking it. I tried Dr. Who, was pretty good, just too scary for me to watch ever again without huddling under the covers for two weeks straight. 

With that said, I am going to go listen to Taylor Swift while washing dishes.

~Glind

(Oh yeah, more news on my life: My dog ran away. Cause the leash broke and she bolted. Stupid dog. >>

And I rediscovered how much I love Shania Twain! I used to know all of her songs, own every cd and all that fun stuff. 'Men's shirts, short skirts, woh-oh-oh-oh'...)

0 comments:

Post a Comment